What is HyFlex? And why was this model chosen at EHL?
- HyFlex (Hybrid & Flexible) is a teaching model that combines in person and online courses simultaneously. A rotation is defined centrally for all students’ courses to take part in classes on campus part of the time, and follow the courses live online the rest of the time. For most classes, we anticipate that approximately 50% will be present on site, and 50% will be joining the class remotely.
- This model was chosen for Bachelor courses as it allows the best combination for students to take advantage of remote study, campus life and classroom presence, given the strict capacity limitations on campus imposed in Switzerland for Covid-related measures. The model also allows flexibility to increase or decrease the presence on site as the situation of the pandemic may evolve.
What will the final ratio be of onsite and online courses?
All students will have the opportunity to follow courses on campus on a regular basis through rotation. The ratio may evolve depending on the latest measures in place and capacity allowed on campus.
Is this format planned for the next semester only? Or would it be maintained even after COVID measures are eased?
Management are currently working on different scenarios for the February 2021 semester. Students will be informed as soon as the most likely scenario is identified.
While the Covid pandemic has accelerated our digitalization plans, HyFlex constitutes an essential step towards a more comprehensive digitalization of all our programs, a strategic plan launched across all learning entities of EHL Group. Elements of this model, and an increased digitalization of certain courses may therefore remain in place after the measures of the pandemic are lifted.
What happens for students who are unable to be in the Swiss time zone (for travel restrictions for example)?
- The principle is that all EHL students will be in Switzerland. Only students facing covid-19 restrictions can request to attend remote classes instead of in-person classes, as assigned to them in their LMS. These students should contact Student Affairs as soon as possible.
- Inquiries will be processed on a case-by-case basis and supporting documentation will be required.
More than half of the student population will be scheduled to be on campus as of the first week of class.
How will the classroom be set up to allow for interaction from remote students and on site students?
The exact set up of the classroom is currently being tested. The professor will be responsible to establish the interaction between the students present in class and those attending remotely.
Will the Academic assistants be taking control of the online classroom?
No, it will be the responsibility of the faculty members to take control of their classroom (online and on campus).
Will students have the option of following the courses 100% remotely upon request?
No. The HyFlex model is designed to enable a mix of classroom presence, campus life, interactions and online courses. Any exceptions required for 100% remote course planning should be announced asap and will be handled on a case by case basis.
How will social distancing be respected during classes?
Thanks to the HyFlex model, a limited number of people will be allowed admission to the campus at one time in order to ensure appropriate distancing and sanitary measures.
- In class, a distance of 1.5m will be respected between each student and it will not be mandatory for students to wear a mask.
- In AP workshops, masks will be mandatory.
What system will be used and will there be training provided?
All remote courses will be accessed via Microsoft Teams. Training could be organized if there is a general need. If you feel that you would benefit from joining a training on Teams, please contact Student Affairs.
What will the IT installation be in the classrooms?
On every desk of every classroom, you will now find a new Microsoft Teams device. This all-in-one Teams meeting solution merges a small computer and a touchscreen interface on top of it. The design is very light and straightforward. This is very easy to use.
All classrooms’ ceilings are now equipped with a:
- High quality microphone. The microphone can capture the voice of the speaker from anywhere in the room. But the microphone is configured to favor the zone of the teacher’s desk.
- Full HD Camera with a wide angle. The camera is configured to focus on the front zone of the classroom (meaning students from the last rows cannot be seen on the camera).
Will all courses be recorded and available to watch – or re-watch – on demand?
The video recording will be available in the course chat on Teams for 24 hours. While it is strongly encouraged to attend classes in real time, to enable interactions and questions, we understand that some students are not able to return to Switzerland at the moment, and may be in different time zones. This will allow all students to follow courses in the best possible situation.
Will the mandatory school fees be adapted with the new HyFlex model?
Yes, the F&B prepaid amount will be adapted to the anticipated presence on site for Bachelor students. The exact amount will be communicated as soon as it is finalized.
Will the retakes for week 35 be held on campus?
The retakes for week 35 will be done remotely.
How will the lunch breaks be organized?
Only students who are scheduled for face-to-face classes will have access to the outlets for lunch. Between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., all seats are reserved for lunch and may not be used as study space.
- There is a limit of 30 min maximum per person at the table.
- A social distance of 1.5m is maintained between tables so please do not move the furniture.
Will I be required to follow the EHL dress code when following class remotely?
For details on the video class etiquette, please check out this article by Christophe Laurent.
Will students living on campus and learning remotely have access to the campus’ F&B outlets?
The rules are adapted according to the latest measures announced. You can find the details here.
How will the Housekeeping classes take place without disturbing students who are learning remotely in their rooms?
AP Residence 3
BOSC and AP Residence 2
- The AP bedrooms’ cleaning day will be communicated by the AP coordination.
- The classroom where they have to go will also be communicated in the mail.
- A schedule will be defined by the Housekeeping teachers.
The Housekeeping team will be responsible for the bedrooms, which will be cleaned while the students are planned in class on campus.